“With self-discipline most anything is possible.”–Theodore Roosevelt
Self-discipline is a powerful skill to have, yet tough to achieve and master.
Self-discipline is the ability to do whatever it takes to overcome blocks and reach your goals, even when it’s difficult or uncomfortable. It may involve saying: “no” to things you want or saying: “yes” to things you dislike, but with the power of self-discipline, it becomes easier to be assertive.
Most entrepreneurs would love to be more self-disciplined, yet some people don’t take action to attain it.
Maybe you start your day with good intentions, but get off track as the day progresses due to challenging problems, stresses, or distractions. Luckily, there are some strategies you can add into your daily life so you can become a master of self-discipline and stay focused.
Follow these techniques to supercharge your self-discipline:
1. Start small, grow solid. One of the biggest problems sabotaging self-discipline is making too many changes at once. Pick one area you want to change in your life, such as reading inspiring books each morning. Add a goal to read every morning for 30 minutes, creating a daily habit. Making too many changes to your routine at one time can be a recipe for failure.
2. Get committed. Be clear why you are making a set routine in your day. An important piece is getting clear why you are making each commitment a priority. If there is something that you definitely want to change in your life, it may take a bit of time and effort, but it can be done.
3. Make a System. Create a fool-proof system for success in your new routine. The process of writing your tasks helps you clarify the thoughts so you can come up with an action plan that you can stick to. Use an online calendar system to keep focused on your tasks. Commit to small chunks of time to work only on the task at hand. Make it realistic so your routine can be a success.
“I value self-discipline, but creating systems that make it next to impossible to misbehave is more reliable than self-control.”–Tim Ferriss
4. Get Accountable. It’s absolutely wonderful that you’ve committed to make a positive change in your life, but don’t keep it a secret. Find other business friends that can help keep you focused. Schedule virtual work days where you work with other entrepreneurs to keep you are target and commit to getting a project done. Your accountability group can also help you get through projects and keep you on track to achieve your goals.
5. Believe. Have faith in yourself and know that if you can master your self-discipline, you can achieve your daily routine and goals. By remaining focused and committed, you’ll be successful in reinforcing your self-discipline skills. Remember to focus on the big picture and concentrate on how your life will change for the better when you stay committed.
Supercharge self-discipline by using these strategies in your routine. Soon your new habits will become a way of life.
Image credit: nyul / 123RF Stock Photo